Sunday, November 9, 2008

Wheat

This is a wheat seed, in 100% whole wheat products all the parts of the seed are in the bread, in enriched white flour products usually only the endosperm is included which doesn't have many nutrients and is a simple carbohydrate (which means it is digested quickly and if not used goes to storage aka extra padding on your rear. My nutrition teacher recently taught us about recognizing when you buy bread whether it is truly whole wheat bread. It was so interesting and I was surprised by how much I learned since I thought I was an expert on buy whole wheat products. He told us his favorite kind of bread and I tried it, it's great! It might be an Idaho brand because I've never seen it before, it's called Harper's Homemade Honey Wheat Bread. Ingredients :100% Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Honey, Soybean Oil, Salt, and Yeast with 110 calories a slice, and to top it off it's really moist it's my new favorite and that's what I get when I don't have time on the weekends to make homemade. Oh ya it's only $2.19 a loaf! Here's a list of what to look for when buying whole wheat products.
-Whole grain or whole wheat (as the first ingredient)
-Multi-grain: Not necessarily whole grain
-7-grain: Not necessarily whole grain
-100% wheat: Not likely whole grain
-Cracked wheat: Not necessarily whole grain
-Stone ground: Not likely whole grain (processing
technique-course includes the germ, but not likely
the bran)
-Bran bread: Not necessarily whole grain
Lots of brands will say 100% whole wheat and another give away is looking to see how many grams of fiber are in the bread, the more fiber, the more wheat.

1 comment:

Shalise said...

Cool! I'm excited for your fit blog! If you get any ideas about exercises you can do in your house when it's cold outside and you have a baby and a dog tackling you, let me know!